V7 Navigation 1000 Menu-button bug fix
Those who have a V7 Navigation 1000 have probably noticed that the Menu (M) button doesn’t actually go to the menu. It doesn’t do much of anything actually (other than behave as “up” for a few menus), which is quite disappointing since there are only really 3 buttons you can use on the front (excluding the backlight on/off button) and the other two you will usually want to keep at their default functionality (zooming in and out).
Oh hey, what do you know – if you followed the instructions in my last blog entry, you will have access to change this!
- Plug the V7 Navigation 1000 into a USB port on your computer and turn it on.
- Browse to \Flash Disk\MyGuide\ in Explorer (on the PC, not the GPS).
- Copy the 1.3mb Data.zip to your PC’s hard drive.
- Rename the Data.zip on the GPS to Data.orig (as a backup).
- Open the Data.zip that you copied to your PC and extract config\keybind.txt from the archive.
- Open keybind.txt in Notepad and scroll down to the [CARPOINTA1000] section.
- Below this, add the following line: UP=”ROUTEINFO”. The section will now look like this:
- Save keybind.txt and replace the original keybind.txt in Data.zip with your edited keybind.txt. Make sure that you actually replace the file and that it goes into the correct directory of Data.zip.
- Copy the updated Data.zip back to the GPS (put it back in \Flash Disk\MyGuide\).
Done and done! You can now start MyGuide and the Menu (M) button will now behave just like going to Route > Info.
You can actually replace ROUTEINFO with many other useful commands, of which MAINMENU is a good choice (as it is obviously the intended behavior of the Menu button, but I found ROUTEINFO to be more useful personally). Have a look through keybind.txt to get an idea of what other commands you can try.
Of course, if you don’t use the zoom in/out buttons, you can change the bindings on those too.